Thursday, July 10, 2008

Thumbsucker

Lucy is a dedicated thumbsucker! I feel like a broken record for saying this - but here is yet another experience that we never had with our first. Perhaps Lucy's ability to self-soothe in this manner is the explanation for her excellent sleeping skills. She appears to have a marked preference for the left thumb so far. I am already wondering whether it is advisable to try to gradually introduce something else she could use for soothing - maybe a satiny blanket edge such as Becca uses. I don't know - I haven't done any research yet on the pros and cons of thumbsucking, I just have a vague impression that it might be problematic in the long term for dental development, and that it can also be a challenging habit to break. Naturally, I am not thinking of doing anything to alter her habit at this time, but it seems worthwhile to think ahead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not an expert, but I grew up in a family full of thumbsuckers, and except for wrinkly thumbs we all turned out more or less okay with a minimum of intervention. Seems like most of us grew out of it naturally long before our adult teeth started coming in, so there's not much in the way of lasting impact.

I'm sure the pros discourage it, but I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about.

I wonder if Lucy is predisposed to being a nailbiter when she gets older?

-Jay