Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Teething and the world of sensation

So, we are fairly certain that Rebecca is teething again. Poor little thing. It's horrible to see her so unhappy. And with these first molars, most of the teething rings don't go in far enough - so it's teething biscuits (thank-you Mom).
As the day of my return to the workplace fast approaches, I have been reflecting on how my life will be different. Perhaps it seems like an odd thing to say, but I will miss all the sensations that I have access to here at home with Rebecca. For example, I can go outside virtually whenever I please and smell the fresh air. I can wear comfy clothing and sing silly songs to the baby. I can cuddle with Rebecca multiple times in a day for as long as she is interested. I can change the temperature of my environment. I can play music. I can eat whatever appeals to me from the fridge. I can crawl on the floor with the baby. I can be loud or quiet. I can have a midday nap. I can be aware of the time of day and the season. Each day begins when it begins, and ends when it ends, and I don't have to try to make them all the same. Some are good, some are bad, but we always get to laugh - every single day. And of course, I get to marvel at how Rebecca is changing, and I get to be part of her day. No problem seems insurmountable, and I go to sleep at night knowing that I am making a big important difference to her life.

No comments: