Monday, May 14, 2007

My Mother's Day

Before I describe my fabulous Mother's day, I want to say a few words about fathers. I received several chain emails prior to Mother's day (mostly at work). While they were supposed to be cute tributes to Moms, I found that many times there were jabs at Dads. It left a bad taste in my mouth. We should be able to sing the praises of Moms without bashing fathers. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the parenting skills of my hsuband, and also, of my own father, and it upset me that it is somehow acceptable in our society to build Moms up by tearing Dads down. All this to say - Moms are great, in their own right! No comparisons required!
One of the many gifts I received from my family to celebrate Mother's day was a very touching book by Berkeley Breathed - the well-known cartoonist. If you don't know who he is, make use of Wikipedia. The book is called "Mars Needs Moms!". Despite the playful title and the humorous passages, it has a serious message about the love between a parent and a child. Everyone should read it!
The morning of Mother's day, Greg made French Toast for me while I played with Rebecca. Then we biked to Bate Island on the tandem bicycle, for a lovely gourmet picnic. The weather was perfect - sunny, breezy. It was perfect. We took turns running after a thrilled Rebecca - she is definitely an outdoors girl (which hopefully is not too much at odds with her bookworm tendencies).
Well, Rebecca needs my attention, so I must run! I love being a Mom!

No comments: