Thursday, February 9, 2006

2 month checkup and first vaccines

Rebecca now weighs 11 lbs 12 oz, and she is 22 & 3/8" long. Everything is perfectly fine. She continues to be fussy at the end of the day, but apparently, babies build up gas as the day progresses, so we are now going to try ovol drops in order to help settle her tummy.
I gave Rebecca a dose of baby Tempra about an hour before the appointment, as recommended by my GP. The drops are banana flavour (not that she can appreciate that). It seemed better than cherry. At any rate, the vaccinations consisted of two shots - one at the top of the left leg, the other at the top of the right leg. The immunizations were diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, haemophilus influenzae type B, and pneumo conjugate. My job was to hold down her arms and other leg while the nurse administered the shot. Just the act of restraining Rebecca's limbs was enough to render her upset. For the first shot, she cried at about mid-range. Afterwards, I picked her up and cuddled her and all was forgotten. Then it was time for the second shot. I think she knew what was coming. This vaccination seemed to be a little more difficult for her to endure. She screamed and cried so hard that her face turned a shade of red I have never seen before. She was not as easily consoled afterwards. Eventually she settled down and didn't even complain when I buckled her into the car seat (I suppose the agony of being put in the car seat has diminished by comparison to the trials of immunization). She was dead silent until we got home, but she had a special look on her face just for me - a look I can only describe as one of extreme reproach. Hopefully the betrayal will soon be forgotten! At the pharmacy, a lady stopped me just to say that I make beautiful babies (her turn of phrase couldn't help but remind me of the goo and slime that initially coated our little monkey - but I did not share those details with her and simply thanked her for the compliment).

No comments: