Friday, September 30, 2005

No genetic mutation!

Happy days. Seems like this is a good news week for me.
In other prego news - Rebecca continues to be a vigorous kicker.
There are two girls in the office now who have just returned from mat leave. They recommend Strollercize classes and library storytime. Whether or not the baby is old enough to appreciate these things seems to be irrelevant. They said that what was key was the opportunity to connect with other mothers.
There was also a brief discussion of baby blues - not full blown post-partum depression, but the short term blues that many women experience for the first week or week and a half after delivery. One of the girls expressed it as a feeling she was mourning the pregnancy. Even though she had her new baby, she was feeling as though she missed having that more intimate connection. At first, that sounded a bit strange to me, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Right now, I have Rebecca with me all the time. A day doesn't go by that I don't feel her moving. Greg and I talk to her continuously, and feel very protective of her. It's a very special time and right now, and we just operate on the assumption that she is perpetually happy and safe. Despite any physical discomfort I may experience, it is generally a wonderfully positive thing for both Greg and I. Anyhow, I think it must also be a bit like Christmas. There are days and days of anticipation and preparation, and then one day, you have to take the tree out of the living room and put the decorations in their boxes. I always find that day very sad. Yes, you did experience Christmas and it was great, but now it's time to go forward with normal life. Of course, this is just my sorry attempt to understand something I have not yet experienced. Maybe I'll be dead wrong. Hopefully I won't run into major post-partum mood problems but, I'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: