Thursday, July 7, 2005

Rib cage tenderness

So, it's 3am and after yet another late night trip to the washroom, I can't get back to sleep. Now that I'm in the second trimester, I am supposed to sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees. That's all well and good except that whatever my best intentions, I sometimes wake up on my back anyway. This is the way I was positioned when I woke up Tuesday morning. When the alarm clock went off, I sprung up out of bed (no doubt too quick a transition from a relaxed state), and I messed up my upper back. I did not go in to work that day. I had pain all along and between my shoulder blades and in all the muscles from the base of the head to the middle of the back. Not fun. I also had sore muscles all along the length of my right arm and basically had limited use of it from the pain. At any rate, Greg had to lift me out of bed in the morning. My GP told me I should take medication and apply alternating heat and cold. She actually allowed me to have regular strength advil, which made all the difference in the world (for all that I am being very frugal with it). I took a hot water bottle to work today, and that helped a great deal. I typed and moused with my left hand, which wasn't as bad as I thought. But finding a comfortable position to sit and sleep is challenging. Thankfully the pain is abating but now I am having problems with tender spots on my rib cage. Apparently this is quite a common complaint of pregnancy and can occur at a wide range of times during the pregnancy. Obviously, my ribs are not hurting due to the baby kicking them (although I should be able to feel the baby move sometime this month). This soreness is most likely due to rib cage expansion. Apparently the ribs can twist and turn and sometimes they become dislodged and must be put back in place. I don't think it's that serious. But it definitely makes sleeping on my side a great deal less comfortable. Reading the online pregnancy forums is almost always reassuring. No matter what problem I encounter, there seems to be some woman out there who has experienced the exact same thing. Hooray for the internet. I know my rib cage is getting wider because the space between my ribs at the front of my body feels larger. I still think that I am getting off easy with my pregnancy suffering.

No comments: