Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Checkup

I had another little checkup with my GP today. For the curious - my blood pressure, weight and urine test were excellent. My doctor gave me the contact information for the obstetrician who will be looking after me from about week 32 onwards. He likes to meet and get to know his patients at around 20 weeks into the pregnancy so that they know what to expect. Anyhow, that means I will be meeting with him in the near future. Hopefully I can book the appointment to coincide with my vacation, but that's probably too optimistic. At any rate, I received the results of my blood tests. I have all the necessary immunities, none of the diseases and as a bonus, it turns out that I have immunity to Fifth Disease/Slapcheek disease. I had never heard of it in my life. Apparently, it is a fairly common childhood disease - well, not really a disease, but an illness caused by a parvovirus. In the early stages, it creates a characteristic rash on the face (hence the colourful name). About 50% of adults are immune. The reason it is good news that I am immune is because if I were to catch this disease while pregnant, it could potentially harm the baby.
My doctor measured my belly for the first time today. The measurement is taken from the symphysis pubis to the top of the uterus (which is palpable and currently located in the vicinity of my belly button). For some strange reason, the measurement in centimetres directly corresponds to the number of weeks you are into the pregnancy. My measurement was 17cm and I am 17 weeks and a few days into the pregnancy.
We had another stab at listening to the baby's heart. Unlike the last attempt, my GP was able to find the heartbeat in about 5 seconds. It was also possible to hear the baby move - which was kind of freaky. I can't wait until next week's ultrasound. I am very excited (except when it comes to drinking all that water - that just makes me unhappy).
I have another appointment with my GP in about 1 month's time. I can only imagine what things will be like by the end of August.

No comments: