Thursday, December 12, 2019

Still tired a lot!

I think that when the girls were younger, I imagined there would be a time in the future where I would feel less tired. It's true that Rebecca, being a teenager, can now execute a pretty epic sleep-in, and Lucy never had any sleep issues. They are both fairly responsible and follow a routine. The thing is though - life has just become challenging in different ways. Teenagers might sleep more soundly (sometimes), but they also have a natural tendency to stay up late. Problems are more complex. Homework is more time consuming. Hobbies and interests are more pervasive, and the balance is more insane. I think this is the busiest time of my life and feeling tired has become my default. Every summer, when things ease off, I marvel that as a family, we are able to cope with the rigours of the school year. Last year, my Mom and I went on a trip to Halifax together for a week and stayed with my Aunt. It was laid back, and I got lots of sleep and lots of chillaxing. It was such a break. Every day I grapple with my work to do list and my personal to do list, and trying to shrink them both. Some days, things go off the rails in one but not the other. Sometimes neither. Sometimes both! I think I am better able to go with the flow now than I could eight years ago.

No comments: