Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Mandarins

I love to buy crates of mandarins or clementines. To me, it's a real treat - and Greg loves them too. They don't stick around the house very long.
Today, Greg discovered that Lucy is also a mandarin-fiend. I have confirmed his discovery - and I also got her to eat hummus and pita. I was mightily impressed with my little girl.
Perhaps this anecdote seems trivial but, it granted me a realization that was anything but.
Lucy has been eating fruit for months now - why did we never try her on this before?
The answer is - Rebecca despises citrus fruits and their juices.
So often, I approach Lucy with a Rebecca template active in my head. Sometimes I am aware of it, and sometimes I am not. Lucy shows us all the time that she is a different person than Rebecca. We know it. And yet, these assumptions still occur. I don't want to do things that way! I'm going to have to make more of a conscious effort not to.

No comments: