Thursday, November 9, 2006

The squirrel does not wave back

Rebecca recently decided that baby food is unappealing (bar the very occasional strained beef and vegetable purée), so I have been scrambling to find other foods that she might deem edible.
So far I have had success with the following (fast becoming a respectable gastronomical repertoire):
  • My mom's beef and barley soup (skipping out on the big chunks of beef and the big chunks of carrot - so basically, broth and barley)
  • Zoodles
  • Alphagetties (spelling?!?!)
  • Plastic cheese (i.e. processed cheese slices)
  • Fruit cups where the quality of the fruit is such that the pieces are small and dissolve in your mouth
  • Little pieces of cold cut (ham generally)
  • Small pieces of whole wheat bread (not toasted)
  • Scrambled eggs (sometimes)
  • Mashed banana
  • Rice krispies
  • Cheerios
The usual standbys:
  • Fruit yogurt
  • Baby mum mums
  • Pieces of arrowroot cookie
  • Formula (of course)
  • Infant cereal
Teething of the first molars has made for some long nights. Rebecca cries out in pain a lot and sometimes we find her standing in bed with her fist jammed into her mouth. Is there something worse than seeing your child in pain? If so, I can't imagine what it would be.

Her energy level continues to be just plain crazy. I have a theory that she is stealing energy from me (it would explain so much!) but I have nothing concrete to substantiate my claim.

Rebecca will now cower around my legs when frightened, and will cling extra hard if I am holding her and she becomes scared (for example, when the vaccum is running). She takes a few minutes to warm up to people she hasn't seen in a while, but then is as bubbly, babbling and sociable as usual.

Our neighbourhood has many birds and squirrels. In particular, many black squirrels make their way through our backyard in the course of the day. Lately, Becca and I watch the squirrels because she loves to observe animals and finds it very exciting. She even waves at the squirrel, who blithely continues on his way without returning the greeting.

No comments: