Thursday, April 5, 2007

First ice cream cone

Hands down, watching Rebecca try to figure out how to eat ice cream from a cone was the most entertaining moment of my week.
Despite ample guidance and repeated demonstrations, Rebecca was still determined to do things her own way. Rebecca's "own way" consists of eating the ice cream cone starting from the bottom of the cone, and working her way up. It also involves picking up ice cream with your fingers from the top of the cone, and putting it your mouth.
Subsequent to her first ice cream experience, Rebecca had an apr├Ęs-midi blanche.
Is there a connection? :) If so - I suppose I can only blame myself (and you Mom!). :) Just kidding. I wonder how Easter will go!
All I know is, 6pm is not the best time to start your afternoon nap.
Hopefully, her frozen dessert product encounter was - at the very least - soothing to her gums.
Teething continues to be a major problem. The third molar is 40% through (edges only! ugh!), and the fourth molar has just recently erupted (one point). I don't think the canines are far behind. We have been experimenting with teething biscuits and teethers which can go farther back, but unfortunately, Becca has decided that the best teether is her hand. I find it disturbing to see her gnawing on her own body (yes, yes, I am a hypocrite - being a consummate nail-biter), but it is difficult to find an alternative she prefers. I'm relatively confident that she won't really hurt herself.
I am sick right now with some nasty head cold (courtesy of Greg and Rebecca, though I'd be hard pressed to single out the initiator). It started as a throat infection that I could feel the beginnings of on Monday. Tuesday I stayed home and after drinking an extra-strength Neocitran, was unconscious from breakfast time until 3pm. Wednesday, I felt obliged to drag my butt into work for important meetings. By that time, the throat had recovered, but I was congested and toting facial tissue whereever I went. Today is Thursday, I thought I could handle another day, but, I had to leave half-way through. After a horrid night's sleep, I woke up feeling as though I'd been punched in the eye - one half of my sinuses are apparently quite annoyed with me - even my teeth feel funny. All this to say - Greg fetched me at midday with Becca in the car. No matter how lousy I felt as I walked to the car, the sight of Rebecca - squealing and kicking, absolutely delighted to see me - was uplifting.
I spent part of my afternoon watching Harry Potter (yes, kleenex box in one hand, lozenges in the other), while a very hyper Rebecca stripped off her pants and acted like a total nutjob. She will often strip off socks and shoes, but pants removal is more random, and I am never certain what her motivation is. A stuffed Nemo was tossed through the air at one point.
A very family-oriented weekend ahead. We shall see how that goes!

No comments: